Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2011

Reading the Bible

At a small get-together recently for Pastor Rufus from Liberia, he was asked his impression of America. He said the USA was so impressive, and he loved so much of it, but, "I think it must be so hard for Americans to really serve the Lord and love Jesus---there are so many distractions!" He listed all the things at our fingertips (TV, music, computers) and said with a laugh, "How do you tear yourselves away?"

I have a small home-study where I read the Bible most mornings.  I'm presently reading through Psalms and Proverbs.  I'm repeatedly amazed at how relevant the scriptures are to my life.  I often scribble down a verse and send it to a friend.  I know it helps me and makes me a better man.  Occasionally, what I've read will come back to me later in the day (that's the work of the Holy Spirit in me). 

I'm afraid many of us are allowing the distractions to keep us from the one thing that could ease our stress, give us wisdom, and draw us closer to God.  

Psalm 1:2
...his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment