Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

In-Laws

I have a boatload of respect for my inlaws!  I came into their lives as an obnoxious 17 year-old.  But over forty-plus years, they've treated me fairly.  In the early years, Dolores treated me so well, I was afraid her own boys would be angry.

In recent weeks I've watched her children honor her with tender care as she deals with the aftermath of a stroke.  I've learned to appreciate her wisdom in finances (as well as other areas).  At one stressful time of our lives, she gave us a loan that helped us through a tough time. 

Although Ken and I are very different in many ways, we've forged a relationship that has worked through the years.  I admire him more than words can express.  I've had him teach in churches I've served because of his expertise in Creationism and End Times!  Over the years he has added wisdom to his knowledge.

I owe them a debt of deep gratitude.  They gave me the greatest gift of my life - with the exception of my salvation!  They gave me their first-born:  Debbie!  She still blesses my life every day!

Having raised nine children, they've accrued a wealth of experience.  I'm amazed at how they can remember specific facts and stories about each of the kids. 

TIP:  If you ever have dinner at the Whippo's, be prepared to sit for hours in the kitchen after the meal discussing a wide range of topics - spiritual and secular.  Debbie tells me that when she was a teenager, her dad would talk with them about what he was reading in the Bible.  Much of her Bible knowledge routes back to those table-talks!

Ken's conversion (when Debbie was 13) changed the course of the children's lives.  And today as the children serve the Lord, their children are being influenced for Christ.  And now even the children's children are having children - and they're also being influenced for Christ!  [Are you following this?] 

That's a godly legacy! 

If you know and care about Ken and Dolores, say a prayer for them today.  They're both struggling with some physical challenges.  Pray that God will strengthen them and encourage them and heal them! 

Now, go out and start your own godly legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment