Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

ALBUMS - TO KEEP OR NOT TO KEEP?

There are four very heavy boxes in my basement.  They're loaded with all the albums from my youth - through college age.  I've also kept a PennCrest turntable to play them on.  About once a year - while cleaning the basement - I'll put a stack on and listen to them.

It's a very eclectic collection! 
  • Karen Carpenter
  • Carly Simon - "No Secrets"
  • Perry Como
  • Neil Diamond
  • Johnny Rivers
  • Carole King
  • The Oak Ridge Boys
  • The Supremes
  • The Righteous Brothers
  • The Temptations
  • The Blackwood Brothers
  • The Chipmonks
  • Cher
  • Simon and Garfunkle
  • Jerry Butler
  • Herman's Hermits
  • The Beatles
  • Iron Butterfly - Yep!  Inagaddadavida!
And a whole lot of others!

The only one that's probably worth anything is INTRODUCING THE BEATLES.  It includes early favorites like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "PS - I Love You". 

But, it's an old medium.  Some are probably scratchy.  Can you even buy a new needle?  My kids don't want them...

Music defines you - or who you used to be!  All things to all people! 

To keep, or not to keep?  That is the question!  Dumpster or Thrift Store? 

You can't take it with you, right?  Plus, there's always youtube!

2 comments:

  1. You can actually buy record players some place, so I'm sure you can get a needle. Don't throw them away, if nothing else...thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh I'd keep them! Just a quick example . . . I have Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" album that my parent's bought - or lol, I should say my Mom, bought :-) and played when I was little. It IS a little scratchy now (it doesn't skip though) and I actually PREFER to hear the sound of the scatches if I had to pick between it and the CD I have of the same album. Albums don't take up much room and they are easily disposed of when all is said and done - many people collect them. (Plus you can indeed still buy record players.) You definitely don't "need" things around from your past to live or remind you that you did, but it IS nice to keep some personal items from that time just for you. And people change . . . in the decades to come, your kids might change their minds. Think of how much YOU'VE changed over the years! But that's just my two cents worth ;-)

    ReplyDelete