Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2012

THE CALL - PART 1

I was 16.  My home church was having its annual, fall revival.  They had arranged to have Reverend Glenn Hughes return to be the evangelist.  Glenn had been pastor at New Brighton when I was a little boy.

I had loved him.  He called me "Hoppy" - partly because my last name was Haire, and partly because I wore a knit cap with Hop-a-Long-Cassidy on it!  He invited me to call him "Uncle Hoppy".  We had a special relationship!  At the young age of four, if anyone asked me what I wanted to be, my answer was "a preacher, like Uncle Hoppy."

I was struggling in my relationship with God.  My commitment through the  teen years had been inconsistent.  At 16, I was in my senior year of high school.  I had been accepted at Roberts Wesleyan College, Greenville College, Clarion State College, and Slippery Rock College.  I didn't know which to attend.

I had no clear direction about my future vocation.  Since I had some obvious ability to sing, I was considering studying music.  Also, because of good reading skills and a strong voice, I was considering broadcasting.

The revival came.  Night after night I sat in the back with the youth.  Late in the revival, during the invitation, I felt God dealing with me strongly.  I trembled as I resisted. 

Finally, I stepped out and walked to the altar.  I confessed to God: 
Lord,
I have not been faithful to You.  I'm sorry!  I'm tired of this up-and-down spirituality!  I'm here tonight to let You know that I'm Yours forever! 
Now, I'm sure I'll sin again and screw-up;  but I promise You that when I realize it, I will always return to You.  I'm Your man for the rest of my life!
Amen.
That was it!  I meant it! 

And in an instant, I knew that God was calling me to be a pastor!  I had no doubt.  It was crystal clear! 

My anxiety was gone!  I decided to go to Roberts Wesleyan College and study to be a pastor!

No comments:

Post a Comment