Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

TALKING TO THE BIRDS

I did it just this morning!  While walking back to the house after my prayer-time, the birds were singing in our pear trees.  I stood for awhile and whistled my greetings to them.  They answered happily.

When I walk in Poland Forest, I hear the same birds day-after-day.  I call to them as I walk through their section of the woods.  Sometimes they follow me for a bit - just to get the last word in.

I've been doing this for years.  A few times, I've called to them in the heat of the day when they're resting.  If I'm persistent, I can usually get one to answer me.

Once in awhile, I think they figure out that I'm an imposter.  We'll be havng a vibrant conversation;  I can tell they're getting closer and closer to me - then suddenly they shut down. 

I love to hear their morning-song.  Then, at the end of the day, I love to hear their evening-song.

When winter comes, I miss their singing.  Occasionally, I'll hear a few hardy ones in the thicket at the end of our property.  But one of the true joys of spring is the early morning chatter that calls me from my dreams.

It rained a lot last night.  The volume of their voices seems increased this morning!  I suppose they're glad to have their houses cleaned and a fresh bath.  Those things always make me happy too!

Song of Solomon 2:12 (LB)
The flowers are springing up and the time of the singing of birds has come.  Yes, spring is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment