Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

SPENCERVILLE FREE METHODIST CHURCH

I sat last evening and went through a box of items saved from our two-and-a-half years at the Spencerville (Maryland) Free Methodist Church.

We had an attendance roster and asked people to 'sign-in' every Sunday.  These were collected and given to me each week.  The children used them to comment on my clothing:  "Nice tie, Pastor!"  "I like your suit, Pastor!"  "Pretty sweater, Pastor."  Many of the younger kids drew pictures on the back for my enjoyment.  I have quite a few renditions of myself and Debbie!

Even Troy and Tracie sent me messages.  I got regular X's and O's from Tracie!  Troy often just wrote me notes regarding whatever he was thinking about. 

Then there were the cards.  Welcome cards, thank-you notes, and cards of appreciation.  You must understand that this congregation was small, conservative, and very traditional.  Having me for a pastor was quite a shock for them!

I introduced many new ways of doing things.  Troy and I were learning to play guitars;  we occasionally led the singing - instead of using the piano and organ.  We taught the people lots of new songs!  I joined forces with Chip Poole to try to raise up a group of strong, godly men!  We saw good fruit for our efforts!

My predecessor retired from the ministry as we arrived.  He had led the church for eighteen years.  They had dearly loved him and his wife:  Reverend Charles and Ethel Beahm. 

Yet, they enfolded us - in spite of the pain of having lost a precious, long-term pastor!

Their generosity in so many ways was overwhelming to us.  Ken and Anna Poole, senior leaders of the church, supported us as we turned the ministry in new directions.  And growth occurred!  New people joined the fellowship.  Many teens came as a result of Troy and Tracie's influence. 

I went there expecting to retire from that church.  Instead, our stay was shortened unexpectedly.  We disappointed the people by leaving in the middle of our third year.  It was a hard thing for us to do!  Few knew the full reasons for our departure. 

The church continues today.  A young couple from our present congregation (FMCC) have settled in that area and now attend at Spencerville:  Chris and Ashley Fleischmann (and little Chris and Zachary).  Small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment