Search This Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2012

MY LAST BALLGAME

In my younger days, I absolutely loved playing softball!

I was fairly fast and a reasonably good base runner.  I could catch reliably.  I could usually get on base and could place the ball with some accuracy.  I was a good, average player.

About fifteen years ago, I had a torn retina.  Surgery saved my sight, but severely affected my vision.  One day at Cornerstone Church, the guys called me out to play.  While fielding a fly, I had three balls coming down at me.  One wise guy told me to catch the one in the middle!

I haven't played since.

Yesterday, the FMCC softball team had a pre-season, informal 'shoot-out'.  Coach, Dennis Massey, Jr., invited me to play until the rest of his team arrived.

I got on base both times at bat.

However, as I launched out of the batter's box the second time, I pulled a groin muscle that had me limping to first, hobbling to second, and barely making it to third. 

I'm pretty sure it was my last game. 

It's a milestone that makes me sad.  I'm not as young as I used to be!  Duh!  I can't do all the things I used to be able to do!  I'm aging...

My pride has taken a hit.  A lesson of humility is being layered into my life.  But don't mourn for me.  There are still LOTS of things I can do.  I'm not ready to lay down and die.

I may not be able to play anymore, but I can still coach and cheer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment