Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

EDWARD ALLEN BISCHOFF

Everyone knew him as Eddie.  He (and his sister, Elaine) were among my best friends as a teenager.  We were all in the church youth group together.

Eddie was three years older than me.  He drove a VW Beetle.  We would pile into his 'bug' on Sunday afternoons and run the countryside.  We all kept bathing suits in his car so if we came across a creek or pond, we could go swimming.

Of course, we all had to be back in time for evening church! 

Eddie lived on the wild side.  He would do about anything.  But basically, Eddie was a good guy.  He wasn't a fighter.  Although he liked to appear tough, he was really a gentle guy.

One day after graduation, he got a letter from the Army that indicated he'd been drafted.  As his date of departure drew near, Eddie grew more serious.  He left for boot camp.  Then came home for a "going away party".  Eddie was on his way to Viet Nam.

The party wasn't very festive.  He spent most of the evening with our pastor, C. D. Weinel, and his parents.  I think Eddie somehow knew he wasn't coming back. 

I was a freshman at Roberts Wesleyan College when I got the news that Eddie had been killed in action.  It hit me hard.  I actually failed General Psychology as a result;  ironic, now that I'm a counselor!

At his funeral they read his last letter to our pastor.  It indicated a strong faith in Christ. 

He was born January 3, 1949.  He died in action January 12, 1970. 

"Eddie, I remember and honor you on this Memorial Day!  Thanks for serving.  Thanks for giving your life for this country.  Thanks for the ultimate sacrifice!  I'll see you again, my brother!"

No comments:

Post a Comment