Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2012

I'M A FACEBOOKER

Why bother?

Facebook is just a fad.  Newer media like Twitter are already competing.  Who wants to be bothered with the personal trivia offered on a daily basis?

Why should a leader be interested in social media?

Consider:
  • It took radio 38 years to reach 50 million users.
  • Television took 13 years to reach 50 million viewers.
  • It took 4 years for the internet to reach 50 million users.
  • In 3 years, the iPod reached 50 million users.
  • Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months!
If Facebook were a country, it would be the world's fourth-largest.

One in eight couples who married last year met online.

Wikipedia has over 13 million articles.  78% of them are non-English!

Why should a leader be interested in social media?  If for no other reason, we should care because most everyone else does.

I'm a Facebooker!  I show up every day to leave positive remarks and to lighten people's day.  I try to regularly comment on other's pages and comments.  I shine the light on my Savior!  I share meaningful quotes - especially from Scripture!  I do what I can to reframe people's day.  I deliberately avoid making negative posts. 

In other words - I minister!  I sincerely  believe if Jesus was here, He'd be a Facebooker too!  And I'd be His friend!


[Statistics borrowed from an article by J. D. Walt, Vice President for Community Life, Asbury Seminary]

No comments:

Post a Comment