Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012

THE CALL - PART 3

[This story will make more sense to you if you read PART 1 and PART 2 first.]

I left a week before Thanksgiving and told Deb that I wouldn't be back for the holiday!

I started the Laurel Highlands Trail in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.  It's a 70 mile hike to Ohiopyle with lots of mountains in between.

It was good to be in the woods.  It was good to be alone with God!  I did a lot of thinking.  I did a lot of talking.  I did some listening.  It was a rugged workout.

One day I was walking along a section of the trail that actually uses a logging road.  It was easy going - thoughtless hiking.  The thoughts I share now took place in a matter of a few seconds:
I  realized that I needed a sign from God!  Did He want me in the ministry or not?
This reminded me of Gideon's story in Judges 6, where he asked God for a sign of reassurance - and God gave it!
I wondered if God would do that for me?
Then I began to daydream about what my "fleece" would be?  I quickly ran several absurd ideas through my mind.
Then I reflected on how I occasionally avoided the most common passages of scripture as a preacher - simply because they're often overworked by speakers.
I thought:  "What if I went home and went to church and whoever happened to be preaching that Sunday would preach solely and exclusively from the text, John 3:16, the best known verse in the Bible.
I laughed at my silliness - and the thoughts evaporated.
Over the next several days, through prayer and listening to God, I gradually came to the conclusion that I should return to being a pastor.  There was no "Aha!" moment.  I just slowly but surely realized that it was what God wanted me to do.  I felt a peace.

Having my decision made, I wanted to go home.  But my car was waiting for me in Ohiopyle, and I was still twenty hard miles from it.

I left early that morning and hiked hard all day.  I finished the trail in the pitch dark, using my flashlight to see the blazes on the trees.  The final ascent to the parking area drained me of every ounce of strength I had. 

My car seat never felt so good.  I had never been so tired.  I had made it!  And the next day was Thanksgiving Day!  I would be with my wife and kids - and we would give thanks to God!

And on Sunday, we would worship God together with our friends from the Oakland Church.  I had not been to Oakland in two months...

[To be continued.]

No comments:

Post a Comment