Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

THE CALL - PART 4

[This will mean more for you if you read the first three parts first.]

I got home late Wednesday.  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving together.  I was glad to see the family - and they were glad to have me home.  I think they could tell that my spirit was somehow lighter.

We got up on Sunday and went to church together at Oakland.  I pretty much went straight in and sat down.  You could sense the people's joy at seeing me again after all those weeks.

Worship began.  It was nice to sit with my family and hold my kids on my lap! 

The guest preacher for the day was Elwood Daugherty, the assistant to our conference superintendent - and a long-time friend! 

In the midst of the singing, he was given opportunity to read his scripture lesson.  He asked us to turn to John, chapter three.  He reminded us that it was the first Sunday of Advent.  I reached for my Bible and began to find John's gospel.

He began at verse 1.  I followed along with my finger;  Troy followed my finger (he was four years old).

Suddenly, a vague memory came to me of a series of thoughts I had while backpacking [see THE CALL - PART 3].   I was intrigued.  How far would he read? 

He read through John 3:16 and stopped.  God now had my attention!

There was still some singing, an offering, and a prayer before he would preach.  I couldn't wait for this message.  Would he focus in on verse 16?  No one was more hungry for the Word that morning than me!!!

Elwood stood up to preach.  He explained that God had spoken to him and told him to bring a message solely on verse 16. 

I was in awe of God!  He had heard my rambling, unspoken thoughts while walking along that logging road and had gone into action! 

Without me even making it an official "fleece", He answered my request.  He graciously reaffirmed my Call. 

I have never doubted it since!

No comments:

Post a Comment