Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

SECURITY BLANKETS

We all had them!  Some of us remember them. 

Parents eventually try to wean them away from us.

I knew a father who, every night, trimmed an inch off his daughter's blanky.  When it became the size of a potholder, she told him she didn't need it anymore. 

I remember Debbie sneaking our kids blankets away from them at night so she could launder them.

They nurture us and comfort us and become substitutes for our parents.  We depend on them to keep us safe.

I had a little Teddy Bear - named Mickie!  He was mostly important to me at bedtime.  I loved his face off!  My Mom sewed a cloth over his face and drew a new one - she was not an artist.  I tried to pass him to my kids;  they were scared of him. 

Mickie is now the proud possession of Troy's Great Dane, Ainsley.  She appropriately loves him!  I'm happy to know that Mickey will be loved and cared for by my grand-dog! 

Keep in mind - he's sixty years old!  :-)

1 comment: