Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

HOW TO PAY FOR A BABY

I was attending Asbury Theological Seminary in Kentucky.  My plan was to return to the Pittsburgh Conference to begin my ministry.  Our conference superintendents (we had three back then) assured me that - as a seminary student - we were completely covered by the conference's health insurance program.

However, when Debbie became pregnant in 1975, they sent our bills back with the notice that they had been in error.  We were NOT covered.

The pregnancy included complications.  Several months in, Dr. Dunkelberger restricted her to bed for three weeks.  Daily, I carried her to the living room every morning;  and then back to the bedroom every night!  The difficulty passed - PTL!

Then, on February 24, 1976, Travis was born!

He came breach-backwards and required a Ceasarian Section!  Nevertheless, we were happy to have a healthy baby boy!

Weeks later, the bills began to arrive.  They accumulated to over $3,500.  We were overwhelmed! 

After a period of prayer and deliberation, I went to the First Security National Bank (where Debbie had previously worked) and took out a 3-year loan for the full amount. 

In return, we received a coupon book!  I recently found it while sorting through old files. 
We paid for Travis on the installment plan - $94.26/month! 

I brought the coupon book home and flashed it to Deb saying:  "We don't have another one until this one is paid for!"  

And that's how you pay for a baby!

3 comments:

  1. Lol, what would have happened if you missed a month? Would the bank have come and taken Travis as collateral in lieu of payment until you caught up? "I'm sorry Sir, but you and your wife have defaulted . . . I've come for the baby . . ." That story is hilarious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so that's why you waited to have Troy...........

    ReplyDelete