Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

THE CALL - PART 2

[To best understand this story, you might want to read "THE CALL - PART 1"]

The Reverend Glenn Hughes had intersected my life at two significant points:  when I was a youngster, and when I was 16 and received my Call.

Fast-forward through:
  • four years at Roberts Wesleyan College,
  • marrying Debbie,
  • three years at Asbury Theological Seminary,
  • the birth of Travis,
  • two years at my first church in Jeannette, Pennsylvania,
  • four years at the McClellandtown, Pennsylvania Free Methodist Church,
  • the births of Troy and Tracie, and
  • the first two years at the Oakland Free Methodist Church in East Liverpool, Ohio.
I'm now 32, pastoring a growing church, attending Pittsburgh Theological Seminary half-time, and (along with Debbie) raising a family of three.  Financial pressures were mounting as well.  Suddenly, the stress reached a peak and I found myself doubting my Call.

Was I in the ministry because God had called me to it;  or was I in the ministry because of pressures exerted by my home congregation?  Or could it have been the strong influence of my mother? 

One Wednesday, I called an emergency Pastor's Cabinet meeting following Prayer Meeting and resigned - effective when I walked out the door!

That's right!  No plan, no income, no resources - I just quit!

As I was leaving the room, Alma Kelly called out to me:  "Pastor, we're not accepting your resignation!  We're putting you on an indeterminate leave of absence with full pay."  It didn't matter to me;  I closed the door and went home.  It was October.

For the next couple of months, I continued to go to seminary.  I also reached out to seasoned pastors and professional counselors.  None of it helped.  I was lost and confused.  I still loved God, but He seemed distant from me.  We visited other churches during this time.

Every Sunday afternoon, Pete Muschweck dropped my check off at our front door.  I received flowers, cards, and fruit baskets from the people at the Oakland Church.  Their love didn't make a dent - I was numb and didn't care.

After about six weeks, I somehow heard that Glenn Hughes was passing through my area.  I hadn't seen him since I was in college.  I made arrangements to meet with him.

He was completely non-judgmental!  He was caring as he listened to my confusion.  He responded with warmth and clarity and suggested that I get away and listen for the voice of God. 

It made sense to me!  I scheduled a backpacking trip.

[To be continued...]



No comments:

Post a Comment